Estuary of San Jose del Cabo

Estero de San José del Cabo
The estuary was called Aguada Segura, or certain watering place, by the Spanish sailors and was the only fresh water source in the southern part of the Baja California Peninsula.

San José del Cabo Estuary, Estero de San José del Cabo, Photo  circa 2008, by Francisco Estrada – PhotoMexico.com

 

Kayaking along the Estuary in San José del Cabo • Photo taken 1997  © Bruce Herman
Kayaking along the Estuary in San José del Cabo • Photo taken 1997 © Bruce Herman

 

Estero de San José del Cabo Anuiti (fresh water estuary).  Photo October 1989 © Joseph A. Tyson
Estero de San José del Cabo Anuiti (fresh water estuary). Photo October 1989 © Joseph A. Tyson

 

estuary-san-jose-del-cabo-1989
The fresh water Estuary in San Jose del Cabo. Estero de San José del Cabo. Photo taken October 1989 by Joseph A. Tyson.

 

The San José del Cabo Estuary. Photo by Bruce Herman
The San José del Cabo Estuary. Photo by Bruce Herman – Los Cabos Magazine Post Card #160

San Jose del Cabo

A Land Before Time
Our guide may be short, but San José del Cabo—known as simply San José among locals—has a long, rich history. Forty thousand years ago, the San José region was known as Añuiti (“place full of reeds”) and populated by the Pericue Indians, who were very tall and strong and in possession of advanced maritime technology. The Pericues lived on the land, feasted from the oceans, and left later generations tales of their lives through mysterious paintings on cave walls. Through the years, the land now known as San José del Cabo was fought over and lost, rebuilt and destroyed, cherished or sold by many peoples: the English, the Spanish, the Pericues, and even pirates.

Spanish galleons made their way to San José del Cabo in the 17th and 18th centuries. They would stop, it’s said, to replenish their water supplies in the Río San José during their long voyages to Asia. The town’s mission was founded in 1730.

Now San José is the municipal seat for Los Cabos and home to amazing restaurants, magnificent hotels, quaint shops, beautiful architecture, warm people, and safe streets.
Excerpt from Los Cabos Magazine. https://www.loscabosmagazine.com/2013/09/my-favorite-weekend-san-jose-del-cabo/

San José del Cabo power plant building in 1957. Photo by Howard E. Gulick.
San José del Cabo power plant building in 1957. Photo by Howard E. Gulick.

 

San Jose del Cabo town square, April, 1957. Photo by Howard E. Gulick.
San Jose del Cabo town square, April, 1957. Photo by Howard E. Gulick.

 

san-jose-del-cabo-hotel-apr-1957-gulick
Fisher’s Hotel, San José del Cabo, April 209, 1957. Photo by Howard E. Gulick.

 

san-jose-del-cabo-plaza-2005-1484_r1
San José del Cabo downtown Plaza and Church August 2005 • Photo by Joseph A. Tyson

 

Palacio Municipal, downtown San José del Cabo, August 2005. Photo Joseph A. Tyson.
Palacio Municipal, downtown San José del Cabo, August 2005. Photo Joseph A. Tyson.

 

The Municipal Building or Town Hall of San José del Cabo. El  Ayuntamiento, calle Miguel Hidalgo en el centro de San José del Cabo. Photo © Bruce Herman c. 1998
The Municipal Building or Town Hall of San José del Cabo. El Ayuntamiento, calle Miguel Hidalgo en el centro de San José del Cabo. Photo © Bruce Herman c. 1998

 

palacio-minicipal-san-jose-2015-1228
Palacio Municipal, The Municipal Building or Town Hall of San José del Cabo. El Ayuntamiento, calle Miguel Hidalgo en el centro de San José del Cabo. Photo taken June 22, 2015 © Joseph A. Tyson

 

 

 

 

 

 

Palacio Municipal, downtown San José del Cabo, 2013.  © PhotoMexico.com
Palacio Municipal, downtown San José del Cabo, 2013. © PhotoMexico.com

Source: https://www.loscabosmagazine.com/2013/09/my-favorite-weekend-san-jose-del-cabo/

San Jose del Cabo, c. 1910https://raulverdugo.blogspot.mx/2012/06/san-jose-del-cabo-anuiti.html

San Jose del Cabo, c. 1910
https://raulverdugo.blogspot.mx/2012/06/san-jose-del-cabo-anuiti.html

La Misión Jesuita, se estableció por primera vez , cerca de la costa, donde los Josefinos, conocemos  el lugar como Las misiones, a un lado del cementerio actual de San Jose del Cabo,  pero pronto se trasladó ocho kilómetros  hacia el interior, hoy San José Viejo. 

The Jesuit Mission was first established near the coast, where the Josefinos, the place known as missions, aside from the current cemetery of San Jose del Cabo, but soon eight kilometers inland moved, now San José Viejo.
https://raulverdugo.blogspot.mx/2012/06/san-jose-del-cabo-anuiti.html

San José del Cabo 1976 by Harry Crosby

This is an excellent view of San Jose del Cabo in 1976 as photographed by Harry W. Crosby.

San José del Cabo 1976  © Harry W. Crosby • Collection: Harry Crosby Photographs Special Collections & Archives, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla
San José del Cabo 1976 © Harry W. Crosby • Collection: Harry Crosby Photographs
Special Collections & Archives, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla

San José del Cabo 1976  © Harry W. Crosby
Collection: Harry Crosby Photographs
Special Collections & Archives, University of California,
San Diego, La Jolla

San José del Cabo Añuiti

The original San José del Cabo Añuiti Mission Church was built in  April 8, 1730.

Best guess of writing: Ciclone 16 to 17 Sept 1918. This picture is from 1918, after a hurricane damaged Mission San Jose. Originally, the Mission had a single nave, without towers but almost disappeared after the hurricane that struck the area in 1918.

 


Founded near the southern end of the California peninsula, this was one mission that served one of the reasons for occupying California (to resupply the Manila Galleon on its long return to Acapulco from Asia).

The Pericú Revolt of 1734 destroyed the mission, and over its years, the mission moved locations at least 4 times between the beach and 5 miles inland.

The mission was closed in 1748, and for the next 20 years it was a visita (satellite mission station) of Santiago. It was returned to mission status with the arrival of the Franciscans who replaced the Jesuits after their forced removal.

No ruins remain today at any of the 4 sites, but the modern church in the town plaza is built on the final site.

Marquis Mcdonald identified two of the old mission sites during his excursion  during 1949-1950, but there was very little remaining to determine the size or shape. His book, Baja: Land of Lost Missions reports his findings.

Tile mosaic above the entrance doorway shows the murder of Father Tamaral in 1734.
Source: https://historum.com/american-history/83478-missionaries-baja-california-1697-1850-a-2.html

san-jose-church-mural_2015-1238
Tile mosaic above entrance doorway shows the murder of Father Tamaral in 1734.

 

Drawing of San José del Cabo by Father Ignacio Tirsch, c.1792. Image from the Czech National Library.

Mision San Jose del Cabo Añuiti:

Established  in  1730  by Jesuits Father  Nicolas  Tamaral and  Jose  Echeverria, the first Mission building  was  established  close  to  the  Estero  (Rio  San  Jose),  soon  they  have  to  move  locations  do  to  a
mosquito infestation the new location was San Jose Viejo.
Constructions  at  that  time  were  simple  adobe  structures
with stick  and  palm  roofs and  do  to storm damage and Pericu Indians sacked and destroying the buildings the Missionaries had to move the mission location on several times. Father Tamaral rebuilt the Mission on the Santa Rosa area.

In 1734  Father  Tamaral  pronounced  against  polygamy,  this  pronouncement  caused  a  rebellion, where  the  Pericu  Indians  burned  the  Mission  and  during  the  uprising,  Father  Nicolas  Tamaral  was murdered with great cruelty, The Jesuit Fathers left the Baja Peninsula in 1768.

In 1793 the Mission was destroyed by a storm and rebuilt in 1799.
From 1820’s to 1840’s due to wars and the poor conditions of the building the Mission was abandoned in 1840.

In  1932  the  actual  Mission  was  built across to  the  Plaza  Mijares,  being  served  by  Combodian Missionaries from 1948 – 1986. Actually the Mission of  San Jose has been in the Hands of Diocesan Clergy and attended by Father Juvencio Gonzalez.
English Mass: Sunday at 12 Noon
Phone: (624) 142-0064
Email: padrejuve@hotmail.com
From an old website: https://www.cabomission.com/

 

mision-san-jose-del-cabo-5099-2
Misión San Jose de Anuiti Church at night – 2014 – Photo © Joseph A Tyson

San José del Cabo Catholic Chruch • Misión de San José del Cabo Anuiti. Photo June 22, 2015

San José del Cabo Catholic Chruch • Misión de San José del Cabo Anuiti.
Photo June 22, 2015 • Joseph A. Tyson

Catholic Church in San Jose del Cabo, circa 1990's
Catholic Church in San Jose del Cabo, circa 1990’s. Photo by Bruce Herman.

Mission San José del Cabo. Photo by Fracisico Estrada • PhotoAmore.com
Mission San José del Cabo. Photo by Fracisico Estrada • PhotoAmore.com

Mission San José del Cabo was the southernmost of the Jesuit missions on the Baja California peninsula, located near the modern city of San José del Cabo in Baja California Sur, Mexico.The southern cape of the Baja California peninsula had been an often-visited landmark for Spanish navigators (as well as English privateers) for nearly two centuries when a mission was finally established at the Pericú settlement of Añuití in 1730 by Nicolá Tamaral. Initially located near the beach, the station was subsequently moved inland about 8 kilometers.In 1734 the Pericú Revolt broke out, Tamaral was killed, and the mission was destroyed. In 1735–1736, the reestablished outpost was moved back closer to the coast, but it served as a visita for Mission Santiago and as the site of a Spanish presidio. In 1753, San José del Cabo was again moved inland. In 1795, under the Dominicans, the surviving native population of Mission Santiago was transferred to San José del Cabo. The mission was finally closed in 1840.

Today this  is the most historical place to get married in Los Cabos with a Catholic ceremony.  Have a nice day,  Francisco Estrada
https://photoamore.photoshelter.com/

—————

site-san-jose-del-cabo-mission-mcdonald
Site of the San José del Cabo Mission (a light house later built on this site and destroyed) Photo by Marquis McDonald, 1949-1950  
https://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/baja/mcdonald/m334-k50M.html

 

Site San José del Cabo Mission (Viejo) (Jesuit, 1730). "Virtually nothing remains at these two sites to indicate the size or shape of these buildings. Both were apparently of adobe, but even that would be difficult to ascertain."
Site San José del Cabo Mission (Viejo) (Jesuit, 1730). ”Virtually nothing remains at these two sites to indicate the size or shape of these buildings. Both were apparently of adobe, but even that would be difficult to ascertain.”  Photo by Marquis McDonald – 1949 – 1950.